Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Stardust (2007)

Overall, Stardust was relatively enjoyable. It had some whimsy, it had some magic, and it had some fun performances – especially Robert De Niro as a gay pirate. But I’m not over the moon about it and I don’t know exactly why.

One gripe – perhaps a silly one – is that the lead, Charlie Cox, isn’t hot enough (Don't judge - I warned you it was silly). But Ben Barnes is in the beginning of this film and he’s a terribly charismatic actor. I couldn’t help but wish him and Charlie Cox could have switched roles. I don’t care that the character is supposed to be nerdy in the beginning. Play nerdy. Don’t cast nerdy.

It was also a tad long for the sort of movie it was. Perhaps the problem came from the big names. Robert De Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer were given more screen time than their characters warranted, no doubt because they’re Robert De Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer.

The things I loved? The idea of traveling by candlelight - how magnificent. And there’s a scene where a voodoo doll of a man is dropped into water. We watch as the man, in air, floats up toward the ceiling and slowly drowns. It’s delightfully creepy. And there’s also some amusing comic relief from a gaggle of very British ghosts.



The movie was fine – worth a few hours but I don’t regret not seeing it in the theater. Mostly it just made me want to read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment