Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Unbreakable (2000)

Let me begin by saying I'm a huge, loyal M. Night Shyamalan fan. So loyal, in fact, that I've seen every one of his films in the theatre since The Sixth Sense. I even tried, futilely, to defend The Happening. It had to be some sort of prank or something. Or he was going for some weird new acting style? Ebert liked it! I try...

Anyway, I had never seen Unbreakable. Occasionally someone will claim that it's their favorite M. Night film and I'll think, "Man, I've got to see that." I just hadn't gotten around to it. Now, having seen it, I think anyone claiming it's the best M. Night movie is just trying to be hip and not roll with the crowd.

It was good, don't get me wrong, but The Sixth Sense and Signs are leagues better. My biggest problem with Unbreakable was that, at no point, did Bruce Willis pick up a knife and poke the tip of his finger. Who, in the history of people, would suspect they were "unbreakable" and not test the theory in some small way? It escalates to his son threatening to shoot him rather than threatening to scratch his arm.

It had a few turny twists - nothing so engaging or clever as in Signs - and all the acting was competent. Samuel L. Jackson was styled perfectly for his role and Robin Wright can make the phonebook interesting. I'm pleased I've seen it. I won't be buying it. And...I hate to admit this...but I won't be seeing The Last Airbender in the theatre. Movies in L.A. are $13 and that's more than I make per hour. I'll rent it but that's the best I can do, Night. Please please please make something good again? Even of The Village caliber would be a step in the right direction. Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment