Friday, August 20, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. It was big, it was flashy, it was funny, and it moved a mile a minute. I read in some review that this is a movie for the ADD generation. No kidding. We're in and out of scenes at breakneck speed and there's always something new to look at.

When I was 19, my friends and I took a road trip to Toronto because *ahem* the legal drinking age in Ontario is 19. And we had to find "vacationy" things to do. So we went to Casa Loma which is this huge castle that some rich guy built a long time ago that is now mostly used for movies. Anywho - there is a scene in Scott Pilgrim that takes place outside Casa Loma and it's the first time I've seen Casa Loma be used as Casa Loma. It was cool. My friends endured me saying "I've been there!" about a dozen times.

But back to the movie. I posit that you have to like Michael Cera to like this movie. He is Michael Cera-ing it up beginning to end. He's good - in that way that he's good - and I kept thinking how lucky this kid is that he has some comedic talent because otherwise, he would probably never get laid.

The uber-expansive supporting cast was also very good. Especially Kieran Culkin, Ellen Wong, and Mae Whitman (who I love anyway). The fight scenes were a tad long - especially the final one - but it wasn't much to worry. This movie entertained and made me laugh. That's exactly what I was hoping it would do. Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment